Winter Slip and Fall Prevention Tips
During the long, cold winter months, it’s important to be aware of some easy to remember slip and fall prevention tips. A few simple precautions can help reduce the chance that you will get injured.
- Avoid slippery surfaces as much as possible.
- Walk in designated walkways.
- Only use sidewalks, stairs, ramps, etc. that have been cleared and/or salted.
- If it hasn’t been cleared, don’t use it.
- Test possible slick areas first with your toe to see how slippery it is before putting your full body weight on the area.
- Take your time and walk slowly.
- Take small steps for stability.
- A few extra seconds could mean the difference between getting to your office safely or spending the day at the doctor’s office.
- Proper footwear is essential.
- Wear shoes or boots that provide traction on snow and ice.
- High heels, sneakers, and footwear with leather or plastic soles should be avoided.
- Keep your hands free for balance and use handrails whenever possible.
- If you slip, you will need your arms to restore balance.
- If you fall, your arms will help you break the fall and help you land in a safer position.
- Keep your eyes on where you are going.
- Use floor mats at entrances to dry shoes when entering the building.
Stay safe and remember spring is just around the corner!
- : Human Resources
Posted by: Human Resources